I honestly did not expect it! The other day I put up a picture on facebook of my latest food adventure and the response was exciting and surprising. See, my friend Amanda put up a picture of her beautiful lunch the other day and in the midst of some amazing farm fresh fare were slices of what she called “zucchini cheese”. As a cheese lover, I was both intrigued and horrified! Zucchini and cheese sounded like blasphemy, but if Amanda was enjoying it then I had to see for myself what this really was!
After doing some research I combined and tweaked a number of recipes ultimately coming up with my own GAPS friendly version and let me tell you this stuff was wild! When it is hot it is like a cheese sauce, when it has cooled it resembles cheese and can even be sliced like cheese, and it is delicious! To me, the best part about it is that the flavors are endless and it is SO easy to make!
Zucchini Cheese (GAPS and AIP)
- Simmer chopped veggies and herbs in broth for 30 minutes.
- Strain out veggies from stock. Also, measure out 1/2 cup stock.
- Blend veggies, 1/2 cup stock, coconut oil (or butter), and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
- Add gelatin. Blend until incorporated.
- Pour into non-stick bread pan.
- Place in fridge and let it set up. This takes around 4 hours or so.
You all, I can not wait for you to try this out and share with me your results!!!!
Now, to all my vegan friends, I know that the title is deceiving! You would think that maybe this would be a vegan food, but do not fear! Simply replace the broth with water and the gelatin with agar powder. Now you will have to play with amounts and let me know how it all turns out, but I know it can be done!