I am writing this on a new keyboard, with a new mouse, on a borrowed table, in my parent’s basement. This is not what I expected my life to look like as a 30 something. But life rarely goes as planned.
For those of you who have been following me for a bit, you know that we have been experiencing a number of strange medical issues. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago it happened again and this time it landed me in the ER. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why I kept having FPIES like attacks and my Little Bear kept experiencing strange health issues as well. After this last attack, I knew there had to be something more going on and we began to investigate. Sure enough, we found the culprit… MOLD!
Thankfully I know a couple families who have walked this path before me. I was clueless as to just how devastating mold could be, but a couple ladies reached out to me, sharing their insight and resources on how to deal with the presence of mold. If you are like me and have not read much about mold here are some great articles to start with:
Figuring out what to do if you have mold and how to heal from it can, it seems, be a very complicated journey. Fortunately, there are some amazing people out there who have dedicated their time to help others! Here are some of the best resources for figuring out what to do next if you suspect you have mold, find you have mold or are suffering from the symptoms of mold.
When I ended up so sick again we knew that the boys and I had to come stay with my parents for a bit so I would have help. The unexpected benefit of doing this was it quickly revealed to us that whatever was making me so sick had something to do with the place we were renting and our stuff there. Any time I came in physical contact with an item from our place, be it clothing, my wallet, or a toy for the boys, I would very quickly become sick once again. A couple weeks later the mold test confirmed our suspicions: there was toxic mold throughout. For us, with my level of sensitivity as well as the various symptoms I saw clear up in my family once we left the rental, we knew we had to make a clean break. I will write more on this soon, but the articles above and the friends who had been through this before were amazing resources in helping me figure out what to keep, what to let go, and what steps to take to start feeling better!
Since this discovery, we have learned a lot about just how destructive mold is, how many people are suffering from its negative effects, and how hard it can be to heal from the damage that mycotoxins cause. As devastating as this experience has been thus far, we have had a couple friends contact us already letting us know that because of what we have shared and because of their health issues they have looked into mold further. They too had major mold issues and are now on the journey to getting better as well! This has made what we have been going through a little more worth it!
So what is next? We are officially out of our place and have lost pretty much everything we owned. So we are starting over! We will be working on detoxing from the mold. We are working on our next steps and will slowly move forward. We have some exciting things in the works that I will be writing about soon so stay tuned!